Unique Talent Tuesday: Topher Futrell can draw caricatures!

Senior Topher Futrell proudly stands next to his completed caricature of Mr. Allemang, while host Maria Cerro looks on.

Lauren Mullen

Lauren Mullen

In this week’s episode of Unique Talent Tuesday, host Maria Cerro welcomes senior Topher Futrell who is a caricature artist. See him draw Mr. Allemang!

About the Contributors
Maria Cerro, Photography Editor

Upon the arrival of hundreds of buzzing high school students to this wonderful chaos we call BPHS, you may hear the faint thud of a basketball early in the morning. That thud could very well be senior Maria Cerro throwing up shots in preparation for her final season as a Black Hawk.

Cerro has been a varsity starter all four years of high school and plans to attend Indiana University of Pennsylvania to further her academic and athletic career. For her, the morning workouts are just another day in the office.

Aside from her tireless efforts on the basketball court, Maria has been keeping the school updated on the latest news, via Hawk Eye, for two years now. This school year, she plans to climb the ranks of the school newspaper hierarchy and establish herself as a key member of the squad. She plans to “bring more ideas to the table and get everyone involved.”

Maria desires taking the responsibility that comes with a leadership role. Through her participation in sports at a young age, Cerro has learned to value being appointed a leader. “Being a leader allows me to influence my team in order for us to win.” Cerro smirks in the face of this challenge.

No matter who you are, who you are friends with, or what you believe in you can rest assured knowing that you can find a friend in Maria Cerro.

Lauren Mullen, Social Media Editor

It is 5:45 a.m. It is dark outside, and the only things awake are the birds and the few people that go to work that early in the morning. However, if you were to walk into the BPHS Main Gym at that time, you would find Lauren Mullen practicing her pull up jump shot before school.

Lauren Mullen is a junior and this is her second year as a member of the Hawk Eye team, and she was brought here thanks to Alex Mullen, who recommended the class to her.

Mullen brings social media presence and sporting event photography to Hawk Eye.  She is one-half of the weekly feature Fun Faculty Fact Friday, working alongside Juliana Carbone. She also takes pictures of sporting events, such as boys basketball, softball, boys volleyball, and lacrosse.

Lauren is a two-sport athlete, playing on the girls basketball and golf team. While athletics are important to Lauren, her academics are highest on her list of priorities. Mullen is a member of National Honors Society, Principal Advisory Council of Students, Camera Club, and Quill and Scroll National Honors Society.

After high school, Lauren would like to play basketball in college. If she could have any superpower, she would like to be able to control her height.

Her dream vacation is to go to Mt. Pinatubo in the Philippines, and swim in the active volcano. In Lauren’s eyes, the perfect date would be a spontaneous trip to the beach.

Be sure to tune in for the Fun Faculty Friday’s every week, and to check out the photo gallery to see everything that Lauren does!

Written by: Juliana Carbone, Staff Writer

Alex Mullen, Editor-in-Chief

All-star basketball player and journalist Alex Mullen is in his senior year at BPHS. In addition to his fourth year at the high school, Mullen is continuing his legacy with Hawk Eye for his third year.

Mullen’s origin story like any other is one of legend, when asked why he joined, Mullen said, “Mang guilt-tripped me into it because no one else would write basketball articles.”

Since joining the newspaper, Mullen mainly focuses on writing sports articles. This year, he hopes to bring “Energy, enthusiasm, and dope videos.”

Mullen is also a host of the ever popular, “Hawk Seat”, and is one of the founding members of the show. When he’s not writing for the paper or recording the next Hawk Seat episode, where can you find Alex Mullen?

“Catch me at the high school basketball court hooping it up,” Mullen said.

Other than his super ability to write for Hawk Eye, he would want the superpower of invisibility.

Mullen’s perfect date?

“A candlelight dinner under a perfect crescent moon,” said Mullen.

In addition to a bright future with journalism, Mullen expects to attend college and hopefully play basketball after high school.

Written by: Nick Guimond, Staff Writer

Nick Guimond, Video Editor

The YMCA ice rink is where you can find the ice hockey team’s three-year varsity starter Nick Guimond, aka Nicky G. Nick is a senior and this is his second year writing for Hawk Eye, the online newspaper. He hopes to bring a strong influence to this year’s sports articles, by leading the new writers in the right direction.

When asked if there was anything else he hopes to contribute, Nick simply said, “My man Mullen and I are going to be making The Hawk Seat better than ever this year with insanely cool videos.”

Speaking of which, The Hawk Seat is currently in the market for one new member, after losing senior anchor Gavin Campbell.

In the future, Nick plans on attending college and has high hopes to play ice hockey at the collegiate level. Once at college, he wants to pursue being a mechanical engineer because of his extreme skill in mathematics.

When it comes to superpowers, it is a clear decision for Nick, as he wants to be just like his favorite superhero, The Flash. With this being said, having super speed would be the most appealing to Nick.

“The great white north or should I say, Canada, is always calling me back every time I think of where I would like to go for my dream vacation,” Nick said in response to the question about his dream vacation.

But if he had the opportunity for a dream date, Nick likes to keep it simple.

“A nice long walk on the beach would set the mood just right.”

Written by: Alex Mullen, Staff Writer