The end of TikTok?

A look at the steps being taken to ban the popular social media app
The end of TikTok?

In recent months, TikTok has found itself at the center of controversy over concerns of user privacy and national security. The very real possibility of a legislative ban on TikTok has become a huge topic of debate, raising questions about the necessary steps to be enacted within the United States legislative branch.

The United States House of Representatives has proposed a bill entailing that TikTok must either be sold to an American company or face a national shutdown enforced by the U.S. government.

In order to understand and track the journey of this bill, it’s important to understand each step of the legislative process.

The power to enact this ban lies primarily in Congress. Crafting this legislation requires careful consideration of various factors such as legal challenges, economic consequences, and the protection of individual rights.

Once drafted, the proposed bill undergoes review and markup within a relevant congressional committee. Committees with technological jurisdiction review the ban and make necessary amendments to ensure its effectiveness and constitutionality.

After committee review, the bill advances to the floors of the House of Representatives and Senate for their respective debates and final votes. The bill just recently passed the vote of the House of Representatives and currently awaits debate and decision in the Senate. Bipartisan support is crucial to pass this bill.

After clearing both chambers of Congress, the bill would then proceed to the President for his approval, thereby enacting it, or his veto, sending it back to Congress for a potential override with a two-thirds majority.

Essentially, a “ban” on TikTok is still a far way from reality requiring a lot of work and review. As legislators navigate these challenges, bipartisan cooperation remains essential in order to address issues of user privacy and national security.