NHS inducts nearly 100 new members

Celebrating tradition and future in Bethel Park
Sophomore Kaelyn Weber poses with her great-grandmother Marian Paff (Class of 1957). Both are members of the National Honor Society.
James Cromie

Sophomore Kaelyn Weber’s great-grandmother, Marian Paff (Class of 1957), was there to support her as she was inducted into the National Honor Society.  She wore her NHS pin that she received when she was inducted in the 1950s.

On the evening of March 20, the Bethel Park High School chapter of the National Honor Society welcomed 96 new members. The inductees include six seniors, 14 juniors, and 76 sophomores. 

Isabella Coleman, Kathryn Boff, and Grace Plassio pose with their National Honor Society certificates. (James Cromie)

To achieve this, each student was required to maintain a minimum 3.85 GPA, perform at least 35 hours of community service, demonstrate leadership in their community, and submit a letter of recommendation. Additionally, each student was required to submit an essay with their application describing how they have shown leadership over the last year. 

When asked how he felt about this ceremony, senior Louis Williams said, “It just feels really satisfying that all of the hard work I’ve been putting in for the last 12 years of education has finally come to one rewarding moment.”

Louis Williams proudly shows off his National Honor Society certificate. (James Cromie)

Intertwined with this ceremony of newly recognized scholars is a celebration of tradition and excellence in our community; the Bethel Park High School Alumni Hall of Fame inducted five new members including two physicians, an accomplished transplant unit nurse, a business leader and philanthropist, and an advocate for people afflicted with HIV. 

These honorees include David Campbell ‘74, Williams J. Ceyrolles ‘69, Andrew P. Katlubeck II ‘80, Karl B. Kern, MD ‘70, and Dr. Antonio Ripepi, MD ‘81.  

Distinguished alumni and their representatives pose with their respective plaques. (James Cromie)

These inductees or their representatives then shared a few words describing their journeys and their connections to Bethel Park, highlighting the profound senses of community and tradition that make Bethel Park so special. 

Principal Joe Villani described this night expressing, “As we celebrate the journeys of the alumni who came before you and who have already blazed on their paths, and as you begin to embark on your journey, know that we are very proud to welcome you to this year’s induction class. We do not doubt that a bright future awaits you because you, too, exemplify what makes Bethel Park such a special place to live and learn.”