Cultural Day returns to BPHS

Zoha Khan draws a henna tattoo on Sharlyne Ngige on Culture Day on May 31, 2023.
Liz Mackey

On May 30, BPHS will host its Second Annual Cultural Day. 

To kick off the event, there will be a school-wide assembly after third period featuring Pittsburgh Taiko, Japanese drummers, and Yamoussa, African drummers and dancers. 

During the lunch periods, BPHS students will host small breakout sessions and display booths in an around-the-world display. With about 20 booths being set up around the Main Gym, students will feature their culture or a culture that is important to them. Students don’t have to sign up for these sessions.

At the same time, there will also be performances in the LGI and South Gym

During Periods 8 and 9, students will hold more breakout sessions. Click here to sign up for these sessions.

The schedule for Cultural Day is presented below:

Junior Hannah Logan and her siblings will be displaying the Philippines. When asked why students should attend Cultural Day, Logan said, “They should visit so they can be more informed and knowledgeable about the different cultures and so they can respect the hard work and effort some put into certain things.”

Junior Lakshmi Andraca is representing Mexico and is displaying her mother’s wedding dress and some images she took in Mexico. She said, “This is important to me because it’s both my mom’s culture and my culture, and it’s important to share it with others who are curious.”

Make sure you visit the booths at Cultural Day during Periods 5-7 on May 30.