Unique Talent Tuesday: Mason Bussard can Kendama!

In this week’s “Unique Talent Tuesday,” junior Mason Bussard shows off his krazy Kendama skills.

About the Writers
Maria Cerro, Photography Editor

Upon the arrival of hundreds of buzzing high school students to this wonderful chaos we call BPHS, you may hear the faint thud of a basketball early in the morning. That thud could very well be senior Maria Cerro throwing up shots in preparation for her final season as a Black Hawk.

Cerro has been a varsity starter all four years of high school and plans to attend Indiana University of Pennsylvania to further her academic and athletic career. For her, the morning workouts are just another day in the office.

Aside from her tireless efforts on the basketball court, Maria has been keeping the school updated on the latest news, via Hawk Eye, for two years now. This school year, she plans to climb the ranks of the school newspaper hierarchy and establish herself as a key member of the squad. She plans to “bring more ideas to the table and get everyone involved.”

Maria desires taking the responsibility that comes with a leadership role. Through her participation in sports at a young age, Cerro has learned to value being appointed a leader. “Being a leader allows me to influence my team in order for us to win.” Cerro smirks in the face of this challenge.

No matter who you are, who you are friends with, or what you believe in you can rest assured knowing that you can find a friend in Maria Cerro.

Lauren Mullen, Social Media Editor

It is 5:45 a.m. It is dark outside, and the only things awake are the birds and the few people that go to work that early in the morning. However, if you were to walk into the BPHS Main Gym at that time, you would find Lauren Mullen practicing her pull up jump shot before school.

Lauren Mullen is a junior and this is her second year as a member of the Hawk Eye team, and she was brought here thanks to Alex Mullen, who recommended the class to her.

Mullen brings social media presence and sporting event photography to Hawk Eye.  She is one-half of the weekly feature Fun Faculty Fact Friday, working alongside Juliana Carbone. She also takes pictures of sporting events, such as boys basketball, softball, boys volleyball, and lacrosse.

Lauren is a two-sport athlete, playing on the girls basketball and golf team. While athletics are important to Lauren, her academics are highest on her list of priorities. Mullen is a member of National Honors Society, Principal Advisory Council of Students, Camera Club, and Quill and Scroll National Honors Society.

After high school, Lauren would like to play basketball in college. If she could have any superpower, she would like to be able to control her height.

Her dream vacation is to go to Mt. Pinatubo in the Philippines, and swim in the active volcano. In Lauren’s eyes, the perfect date would be a spontaneous trip to the beach.

Be sure to tune in for the Fun Faculty Friday’s every week, and to check out the photo gallery to see everything that Lauren does!

Written by: Juliana Carbone, Staff Writer