‘Wonder’: a truly wondrous book

Photo credit: Schu via Flickr, cc (https://www.flickr.com/photos/litandmore/6869405392)

Julia Mascaro, Staff Writer

The novel Wonder by R.J. Palacio is one of the most beautiful stories created whether you are in middle school or in college. This book teaches you a variety of life lessons ranging from helping  you to become a better human being to accepting who you truly are.

Palacio was inspired to write this novel when her and her son were getting ice cream one day. In line, her son saw a girl with facial defects and he started to cry. Palacio tried to remove her son from the situation to not make it worse. She thought she could teach people worthwhile lessons through her experience. Palacio also came up with the title because of Natalie Merchant’s song, “Wonder.” She used some of the song lyrics to write the story.

Throughout the story, Palacio writes from the different points of view of a variety of people. This helps give a better understanding how other people feel and how the story all comes together. The main character, August Pullman, was born with a facial deformity. August’s classmates find it hard to look past his face. Within this book, you can feel the heartfelt story about a young boy overcoming adversity. This book can teach you many things whether you are a child or an adult.

Palacio’s novel is about friendship, self-confidence, and learning how to deal with whatever life gives you. It is not what happens to you, but it is how you react that matters. To a view a trailer for the book, click here.

*The movie Wonder just came out this year. You can watch the trailer here.

About the Writer
Julia Mascaro, Features Editor

Julia is one of the many Mascaros to pass through BPHS. She is currently a senior and will be writing for Hawk Eye for her second year.

She took the journalism class again because Mr. Allemang is a great teacher and because she gets to express herself with her articles.

Julia usually writes about students’ art and creative things they make at school. In fact, Julia would like to major in art in college. She will be attending Slippery Rock University, where she will also play soccer.

In her free time, you can usually find Mascaro at your local Dunkin Donuts getting a vanilla iced coffee with cream and sugar. If she’s not at Dunkin, you can find her on a soccer field somewhere. Julia has been involved with soccer for about eight years and will continue to play for a couple more. She plays for two teams: Century, which is a club team, and the girls varsity team. You can see her playing midfielder for both teams.

If Julia could visit anywhere in the world, she said, “I would go to Italy because my great grandparents are from there and it’s a beautiful place. It would also be nice to go somewhere new.”

Also, if she had one superpower, she would like to be invisible. Her favorite TV shows are The Voice and World of Dance.

Julia is a very caring and kind-hearted girl. If you see her in the hall, you can usually see her with a bright smile on her face and you can hear her contagious laugh. If you ever get the chance to meet the fourth Mascaro, you are one lucky person!