The Hawk Seat S2E1: Homecoming recap

PULLING IN HIS GUEST, Luke Surunis asks sophomore Garon Burkes what he thought about the Homecoming Dance music.

Hosts Alex Mullen and Nick Guimond return for another year of The Hawk Seat in this episode recapping Homecoming. New co-host, senior Luke Surunis makes his debut, and seniors Maria Cerro and Makenzie Volpatti guest star.

About the Writers
Alex Mullen, Editor-in-Chief

All-star basketball player and journalist Alex Mullen is in his senior year at BPHS. In addition to his fourth year at the high school, Mullen is continuing his legacy with Hawk Eye for his third year.

Mullen’s origin story like any other is one of legend, when asked why he joined, Mullen said, “Mang guilt-tripped me into it because no one else would write basketball articles.”

Since joining the newspaper, Mullen mainly focuses on writing sports articles. This year, he hopes to bring “Energy, enthusiasm, and dope videos.”

Mullen is also a host of the ever popular, “Hawk Seat”, and is one of the founding members of the show. When he’s not writing for the paper or recording the next Hawk Seat episode, where can you find Alex Mullen?

“Catch me at the high school basketball court hooping it up,” Mullen said.

Other than his super ability to write for Hawk Eye, he would want the superpower of invisibility.

Mullen’s perfect date?

“A candlelight dinner under a perfect crescent moon,” said Mullen.

In addition to a bright future with journalism, Mullen expects to attend college and hopefully play basketball after high school.

Written by: Nick Guimond, Staff Writer

Nick Guimond, Video Editor

The YMCA ice rink is where you can find the ice hockey team’s three-year varsity starter Nick Guimond, aka Nicky G. Nick is a senior and this is his second year writing for Hawk Eye, the online newspaper. He hopes to bring a strong influence to this year’s sports articles, by leading the new writers in the right direction.

When asked if there was anything else he hopes to contribute, Nick simply said, “My man Mullen and I are going to be making The Hawk Seat better than ever this year with insanely cool videos.”

Speaking of which, The Hawk Seat is currently in the market for one new member, after losing senior anchor Gavin Campbell.

In the future, Nick plans on attending college and has high hopes to play ice hockey at the collegiate level. Once at college, he wants to pursue being a mechanical engineer because of his extreme skill in mathematics.

When it comes to superpowers, it is a clear decision for Nick, as he wants to be just like his favorite superhero, The Flash. With this being said, having super speed would be the most appealing to Nick.

“The great white north or should I say, Canada, is always calling me back every time I think of where I would like to go for my dream vacation,” Nick said in response to the question about his dream vacation.

But if he had the opportunity for a dream date, Nick likes to keep it simple.

“A nice long walk on the beach would set the mood just right.”

Written by: Alex Mullen, Staff Writer

Luke Surunis, Deputy Sports Editor, Cartoonist

impactful. persistent. driven.

These are three words that describe the Luke Surunis.

Don’t worry, when you walk through the halls of BPHS, Luke will make you feel warm and wanted, one of his many charms.

This is Luke’s first year writing for Hawk Eye and in his own words he hopes to bring a “New perspective.”

Luke is very creative and opened-minded, and the Hawk Eye staff is more than happy to welcome him!

Besides writing articles and being a good friend to everyone, Luke plays football for the Hawks. When he isn’t on the field or in the weight room, Luke enjoys outdoor activities, such as hunting and fishing.

If Luke could be anyone for a day, he would be Dan Bilzerian– Why?  “He’s a professional poker player who lives an extremely luxurious life and hangs out with extremely beautiful women doing cool things,” said Luke. 

To add to all that, he loves all types of music. He plans on continuing his academic career at Slippery Rock or Indiana University of Pennsylvania.

Well, that’s Luke ! 🙂

Keep an eye out for his articles this year!