Students celebrate Wish Week

Liz Mackey and Ella Milliken hand out wishes to students during homeroom on Tuesday, Feb. 13.

Students didn’t wish upon a star, but SGA is making wishes come true this week at BPHS.

And spirits are high as students receive all sorts of goods, from flowers to chocolate bars, and even bracelets.

Last week, SGA sent out a Google Form wherein students could make wishes for other students and even staff members. Besides the options the form gave, they also included an “other” option. Students could wish other students things they love. 

Some more examples of items received are stuffed bears, pickles, metal straws, and sweet-tart ropes.

One of the students in charge of Wish Week,  senior Maddy Sams, was asked about the process of granting wishes.

“Wish Week is probably SGA’s busiest week of the year. It takes a lot of time from our Senate and Homeroom Reps to buy and organize all of our wishes, and this year we got over 1600! With Wish Week, we hope to reach every student and make their day just a little better. I know seeing people show their friends the funny gift they got makes my day better!” Sams stated.

Julia Lepri, who also helps coordinate Wish Week, was asked what goes into Wish Week, and how it makes her feel. 

Lepri stated:  “Wish week is such an exciting time for SGA. It brings all of our members together. Since Jan. 1, we have been preparing for this week, by hosting work days, shopping trips, morning meetings, making many online orders, and of course lots of emails. It is so rewarding seeing everyone receive wishes, whether it be funny or meaningful.”

She continued saying: “We get an overwhelming amount of wishes every year and work very hard to try and grant everyone. This year we received 1500+ wishes!! Personally, Luke Myers and I are in charge of creating the form, organizing all the wishes, organizing a shopping trip, and making all the orders. I want to also thank our sponsor, Mr K, and our president, Madelyn Sams, for working very hard along with us. I am so glad to be able to be a part of this amazing event.”

Emma Thimmons, who is in SGA loves to bring her fellow students joy.

Thimmons states: “Wish Week is SGA’s busiest but favorite time of the year! There are months of planning that go into these two weeks. We like to do Wish Week for the school because this is around the time when students get into a slump, so the fact that we can brighten so many kids’ days is such an honor. My favorite part is seeing students’ reactions when they receive a gift; it makes all the hard work worth it!”  When asked what it’s like to grant people wishes.

Ella Sabanovic, a current junior was asked what her role in Wish Week was.

Sabanovic said, “I helped with picking out the toys for Wish Week! Those in SGA who were able to help buy the gifts were organized in groups and bought the wishes off of their lists. I was in a group that bought all the toys. It makes me happy seeing some of the types of toys I got making people happy, and I learned that the people in this school love Squishmellows to the extreme.”

The students wished for over 16 Squishmellows!

Thank you to all SGA members for their outstanding efforts.

Students around the school were excited to see people receiving gifts, and receiving gifts themselves.

“I love getting gifts! it’s fun to see that people care about me!” said Bella Stasik, current senior.

Zane Antonich, who received a chocolate bar and diet coke said, “I think Wish Week’s a really fun event, it’s cool seeing what everyone got! I think it’s a cool way to raise school spirit.”

Noah Stiglich, a current senior said, “I have seen someone get bread.”

“I think Wish Week is about showing how grateful you are for others in your life,” said Sophia Brawner, a current junior.

Ms. Ruzzini, a staff member, said, “I think it’s always good to have acts of kindness to make people’s day. #GoodVibes.”