How many students at BPHS actually read Hawk Eye?

As I was writing an article about the cast of the BPHS fall play, I had a depressing thought, “How many people would actually read any of this?” How many BPHS students actually read Hawk Eye, or even know it exists?

This is an incredibly disturbing truth, students are remarkably under informed about the news of this school. Without informed students, how can a school function effectively? This article is my form of a “slap in the face” for the Bethel Park student body, it is our responsibility as students to stay updated with the activities of the school.

When a high school has students that are informed about the achievements and actions of their fellow students, it forms a more unified school. After the events at BPHS the first half of the year, from weapons threats to racial conflict, Bethel Park needs a more unified student body.

On this thought, Hawk Eye’s adviser, Mr Allemang, offered his perspective about the benefits of a school newspaper and why students should read it.

Mr Allemang said: “A school newspaper benefits all parties involved, those whom the stories are about, the writers, and of course the readers. Student journalists learn and adopt a myriad of skills, including researching, writing, editing, and interviewing.”

The newspaper at a school is a crucial part of the school environment as well as a useful tool for students. The school newspaper keeps students up-to-date with all the activities of the school and informs students of opportunities they might otherwise not have heard about.

Hawk Eye contains vital information for the student body of BPHS. It should be a common thing for students at the high school to read Hawk Eye; it should be the source of their information about the school.

As Mr. Allemang said: “Students should want to read their school newspaper in order to find out the good things that are happening in and around their school and to learn from other students in the process.  All it takes is a little school pride. Be proud of yourself, be proud of each other, and be proud of your school. Celebrate those things.  In the process, let your voice be heard.”

Now, I know that not many people will actually see this article, even fewer people will actually click on it to read.  But if you are one of the few people who reads our little newspaper, thank you, and try to convince some others to read it to.

Finally, in the words of our adviser, Mr Allemang, “Long live journalism!”