Hawk Eye staff takes on Media Day

Newspaper and Yearbook Club students pose for a .5 outside of Point Park University.
Kianna Gorman

This past Friday, Oct. 13, six students of the Newspaper and Yearbook Clubs and adviser Mr. Allemang boarded the Trolley to Point Park University for Fall Media Day.

Eager students attended sessions in photojournalism, yearbook production, news writing, and photography. 

Liz Mackey, a current junior, went on the field trip. Mackey said, “I learned a lot of great things, this year’s yearbook will be amazing.”

As soon as they arrived at the school, the students made their regular stop at the Point Perk, the Point Park coffee shop, which serves Starbucks coffee products.

After, the students were greeted with pastries, juice, and coffee provided by the school. They got to meet the Dean of the Communications School and talk with several different advisors.

Before the field trip, each student had to pick what two sessions they wanted to attend.

The topics for the first section were photojournalism, Writing a Literary Magazine, Creating Content for Your Yearbook, Feature Writing for a Newspaper, and the PSPA Competition.

Zane Antonich, who took the feature writing session, said: “It gave me an interesting perspective on feature writing. It was nice to learn from a professional.”

“As somebody who wants to go into photojournalism, I thought it was very informational and I got to learn new techniques that I wouldn’t have thought of before. It is interesting to think of photos in a different way now,” Meghan Dehaven said, who took the photojournalism session.

Next, the students got to pick a new session. The choices were Layout of Your Yearbook, Getting Your School Literary Magazine off the Ground, Community Storytelling, Taking Action Shots, and the PSPA competition.

The PSPA Competition was a news writing competition.

Kianna Gorman attended the yearbook layout session. She said, “It was a super fun experience and I learned a lot from it,” when asked how her time was.

Alea Taylor took on the literary magazine session.

Taylor said, “It was very informative and gave a lot of insight on points that will elevate our newspaper to the next level,” when asked how her session went.

The students went home with great insight, great ideas, and a memory of a great day!