Coltrane Thomas, Blaise Roberto, Jack Harrie, and Robert Lecak enjoy breakfast before homeroom on Monday, Dec. 4.

Photo credit: Mr. Allemang
Coltrane Thomas, Blaise Roberto, Jack Harrie, and Robert Lecak enjoy breakfast before homeroom on Monday, Dec. 4. Photo credit: Mr. Allemang

Students take advantage of free breakfast

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day most would say. 

BPHS agrees as the school offers breakfast for free with fruit and or juice. 

The breakfast remains free this year, as it has been, and is a great way for students to start in the morning. Last year, there were only around an average of 50-75 students getting free breakfast but so far this year, over 350 students are getting breakfast.

Getting breakfast in the morning gives me the energy I need for the school day. There are lots of options and I enjoy it every day.

— Connor Karabinos

This year, the school tried to be more flexible by allowing students eat breakfast in the cafeteria throughout homeroom. They signed in via a QR code.

However, the breakfast policy has now reverted to previous years.

The QR code form is no longer an option for students as it has become a safety issue.

All students must report to homeroom by 7:25 a.m. If students enter the building after 7:25, they must report to the attendance office and get a pass to homeroom.

Breakfast is available from 7- 7:25 a.m.

This gives students ample time to get breakfast and report to homeroom before the bell at 7:25 a.m.

Breakfast also offers a grab-and-go option for students who don’t have time to sit down and eat, which is when students grab breakfast, go to homeroom, and eat their food in homeroom. 

The grab-and-go breakfast consists of everything the typical breakfast serves, a sandwich/donuts accompanied by a fruit, and milk or juice.

All breakfast food is allergen-free, so students can enjoy breakfast in homeroom without worrying about causing any allergic reactions.

The administration is also exploring the idea of doing a give-back table, with all the food students don’t want but have to take as part of the free breakfast.

This would work by students putting the items they did not want, like milk, juice, or fruit on a table, all being available for students to take home, grab another item they like off the table, or possibly donate to different food banks in the area. 

The food cannot be re-sold, so this would be an effective way not to waste food.

Connor Karabinos, a current senior says, “Getting breakfast in the morning gives me the energy I need for the school day. There are lots of options, and I enjoy it every day.”

Senior Ana Winowich may not eat breakfast every day; however, she says, “I don’t go get breakfast every day, but I know my friends like to go get breakfast. It also gives people the opportunity to eat before a long day of school. Having the opportunity to have breakfast at our school is so nice.”

Jack Edner, a senior, gets breakfast. Jack says, “I think it is very yummy. I miss being able to sit in the cafeteria during homeroom though.”

Meghan DeHaven, senior eats breakfast here at school. Meghan’s favorite breakfast to eat here is french toast sticks, sausage, and hot chocolate. 

Will Alborg gets powdered donuts and apple juice at breakfast. “They are very tasty,” Alborg claims.

Please consider getting breakfast in the mornings before going to homeroom!