Time to donate blood

BPHS to host winter blood drive
River Hendrych-Bondra gives blood during the fall blood drive.

Photo credit: Mr. James Cromie
River Hendrych-Bondra gives blood during the fall blood drive. Photo credit: Mr. James Cromie

We are still in need of donors. Donating blood directly helps people who need it and can save lives.

— Henry Gaston

Did you know that January is blood donor month? You could be a blood donor this week at BPHS!

On Thursday, Jan. 11, Bethel Park will host a blood drive. The blood drive will run from 8 a.m.-1 p.m. in the auditorium. 

Senior Henry Gaston said: “We are still in need of donors. Donating blood directly helps people who need it and can save lives.”

Anyone over the age of 16 can sign up to donate blood at the blood drive.

Senior Alea Taylor donated blood at the last blood drive and plans to donate at the upcoming drive. When asked how to alleviate the nerves of people debating signing up, she said: “For me personally, I hate blood. It freaks me out; however, I’ll relax and listen to music or even talk to my friends who sign up in the same time slot as me. Also, you get to skip class and they give you yummy snacks and drinks”

The blood drive helps the NHS raise money for its scholarship fund. Along with raising money for scholarships, members of NHS will receive an hour of community service if they donate blood and an additional hour if they encourage someone else to donate blood.

When asked why people should sign up for the blood drive, senior Noah Stiglich said, “They should sign up because they can save lives!”

It is suggested that those considering donating for the blood drive get a good night of sleep, drink plenty of water, and eat an iron-rich breakfast.

To sign up for the blood drive, scan the QR codes around the school or click here.