McGowan makes case for Player of the Week

FIRED UP,  Sean McGowan leads the celebratory run after his 32-yard touchdown run during the Hawks game against Moon on September 28.

FIRED UP, Sean McGowan leads the celebratory run after his 32-yard touchdown run during the Hawks game against Moon on September 28.

Juliana Carbone

Juliana Carbone

Ryan Meis, Staff Writer

After four touchdowns and over 100 all-purpose yards Friday night, BP’s own Sean McGowan is up for Skylights Week 6 Player of the Week.

McGowan was all over the field, leading the charge en route to a 49-21 victory over the Chartiers Valley Colts Friday night.

The junior running back/wide receiver combination has been the super utility man for the Hawks in the first half of the season, and he has been performing at the highest level of the WPIAL.

In order for McGowan to be awarded the Player of the Week, he needs votes. Each person is eligible to vote EVERY HOUR on the WPXI website.

Voting ends Wednesday at noon, and McGowan needs everyone’s help. He is currently about 100 votes behind Antonio Orsini of USC.

VOTE FOR MCGOWAN here: https://t.co/cGde54uvbn?ssr=true.

If he wins, he will be awarded an honorary plaque and be featured on WPXI’s Skylight segment of the Channel 11 news.

About the Contributors
Ryan Meis, Staff Writer

Athlete. That is only one word to describe Ryan Meis.

Meis is a junior here at BPHS and plays point guard for the varsity basketball team.

According to Ryan himself, you can usually see him “grinding” in the gym working on his game when he is not in school. But every now and then, you can see him out on the golf course with his brother and dad.

Ryan is not just an athlete, he is a student athlete. With a 4.0 GPA, he is looking to continue his basketball career and pursue medical school after high school.

Meis was persuaded by Mr. Allemang himself to join for his rookie year in journalism.

“I bring enthusiasm and determination to make the paper better,” Meis said.

He writes mostly about what is going on in the sports community. “Anything the boss tells him to write,” he said.

If Ryan could have any one superpower, it would be teleportation.

“I don’t want to miss out on anything,” Meis said.

This avid traveler’s dream vacation is Hawaii. “What is there not to love about Hawaii?” he said.

His perfect date with that special someone would be a date and a movie.

“I’m just a simple guy,” Meis claims.

Ryan’s dad sets an example and teaches Ryan lessons, being his role model and all.

Meis is the type of guy everyone wants to be around. That is why you want a guy like him writing for your paper.

Written by: Parker Loera, Staff Writer

Juliana Carbone, Deputy Photography Editor

In ten years from now, you can see Juliana walking from room to room taking care of patients as a PA, but for now you can see Juliana roaming the hallways looking for a good story to write.

Juliana Carbone is a junior this year at BPHS and it is her second year writing for the newspaper. She credits Alex Mullen for recommending she take the class. Juliana is looking forward to bringing sports photography skills to the team. She is also the other half of the duo behind the Fun Faculty Fact Friday feature.

If Juliana doesn’t have a camera in her hand, she can usually be seen at basketball. After a normal school day, Juliana can be seen either practicing basketball or snap-chatting. She is a third year member of the girls basketball team and looks forward to playing every year.

In addition to the Hawk Eye, she is also in PACS, Camera Club, SGA, National Honors Society, and Quill and Scroll Society.

After high school, Juliana wants to go to college and earn a medical degree. Then, she wants to pursue a career in the medical field as a Physician’s Assistant.

If Juliana could have any superpower, she said, “I want to be able to read minds.”

Juliana’s dream vacation would be Italy. She wants to see where her ancestors lived, and she wants to explore the beaches of Italy as well. If she doesn’t make it to her dream vacation, she wants to have a dream date as a movie night in the backyard with a projector.

Make sure to check out the Fun Faculty Fact Friday feature this year to read some of Juliana’s work.

Written By: Lauren Mullen