Athlete Spotlight: Mason Kernan surpasses 100 wins

Mason Kernan, alongside his brother Hunter, proudly holds his 100 wins banner after achieving a milestone in his wrestling career.

Senior wrestler Mason Kernan recently etched his name into the record books by reaching 100 career wins. He currently stands at 101 wins which puts him fourteenth on the all-time list of career wins for Bethel Park.

The wresting team competed at Powerade tournament over the holiday break, and it was there that Mason placed seventh and picked up his 100th career victory in a match against Carter Nogle of Mount St. Joseph High School in Maryland.

Before the season, Mason had 85 career wins from his freshman, sophomore, and junior campaigns. He also placed third at the King of the Mountain tournament early in the season, which set him at 95 wins in his career.

Sophomore season, Mason placed fourth in the WPIAL and qualified for the state championships. Junior season, he placed sixth at WPIALS despite suffering an injury in the process.

Mason is currently ranked second in the WPIAL and sixth in the state in the 139-pound weight class.

Mason has been wrestling since kindergarten, and some say he has been at it from day one out of the womb.

After high school, Mason plans to continue his wrestling career at West Virginia University.