Hawks handle Highlanders

Maddie Dziezgowski prepares for a layup during the Lady Hawks' game vs. Baldwin on Monday, Jan. 5.

Julia Mascaro

Julia Mascaro

Maria Cerro, Staff Writer

On Monday, Feb. 6, the Lady Hawks traveled to Baldwin to wrap up their section play. The Lady Hawks started out the game by hitting four three-pointers, giving them a lead of 12-3. They kept the lead the entire time and the final score was 64-52.

The Lady Hawks had four players in “dub figs” as coach Travis says. Olivia Westphal finished with 15, Maddie Dziezgowski with 13, Ashley Spence and Maria Cerro with 12. Kamryn Lach pitched in 9 points as well.

The girls finished with 14 assists and won 33-13 on the boards.

“We shared the ball really well and hit the open guy. It’s hardMadd to beat a team when everyone can score,” said senior Ashley Spence.

The Lady Hawks finished their section in 2nd place with a record of 8-2 overall. They are ranked third in 6a with an overall record of 14-5.

They will face non-section Norwin on Tuesday and Shaler on Wednesday. Both games are home at 7:30 p.m.

About the Contributors
Maria Cerro, Photography Editor

Upon the arrival of hundreds of buzzing high school students to this wonderful chaos we call BPHS, you may hear the faint thud of a basketball early in the morning. That thud could very well be senior Maria Cerro throwing up shots in preparation for her final season as a Black Hawk.

Cerro has been a varsity starter all four years of high school and plans to attend Indiana University of Pennsylvania to further her academic and athletic career. For her, the morning workouts are just another day in the office.

Aside from her tireless efforts on the basketball court, Maria has been keeping the school updated on the latest news, via Hawk Eye, for two years now. This school year, she plans to climb the ranks of the school newspaper hierarchy and establish herself as a key member of the squad. She plans to “bring more ideas to the table and get everyone involved.”

Maria desires taking the responsibility that comes with a leadership role. Through her participation in sports at a young age, Cerro has learned to value being appointed a leader. “Being a leader allows me to influence my team in order for us to win.” Cerro smirks in the face of this challenge.

No matter who you are, who you are friends with, or what you believe in you can rest assured knowing that you can find a friend in Maria Cerro.

Julia Mascaro, Features Editor

Julia is one of the many Mascaros to pass through BPHS. She is currently a senior and will be writing for Hawk Eye for her second year.

She took the journalism class again because Mr. Allemang is a great teacher and because she gets to express herself with her articles.

Julia usually writes about students’ art and creative things they make at school. In fact, Julia would like to major in art in college. She will be attending Slippery Rock University, where she will also play soccer.

In her free time, you can usually find Mascaro at your local Dunkin Donuts getting a vanilla iced coffee with cream and sugar. If she’s not at Dunkin, you can find her on a soccer field somewhere. Julia has been involved with soccer for about eight years and will continue to play for a couple more. She plays for two teams: Century, which is a club team, and the girls varsity team. You can see her playing midfielder for both teams.

If Julia could visit anywhere in the world, she said, “I would go to Italy because my great grandparents are from there and it’s a beautiful place. It would also be nice to go somewhere new.”

Also, if she had one superpower, she would like to be invisible. Her favorite TV shows are The Voice and World of Dance.

Julia is a very caring and kind-hearted girl. If you see her in the hall, you can usually see her with a bright smile on her face and you can hear her contagious laugh. If you ever get the chance to meet the fourth Mascaro, you are one lucky person!