Is Tiger the GOAT?

ALL SMILES, Tiger Woods attends a Chevron World Challenge charity event to putt with fans at Hollywood & Highland Center to benefit the Tiger Woods Foundation in October 2011.

Angela George [CC BY-SA 3.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

Ryan Meis, Staff Writer

Greatest of all time? That question has been looming over Tiger Woods’ head ever since he stepped foot on the PGA Tour in 1996. Over the last 22 years, he has silenced the doubters time and time again, leaving his mark on the game of golf.

Tiger won for the 80th time on Tour this past Sunday and has all of us questioning more than ever, Is Tiger the GOAT?

Is Tiger Woods the GOAT?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

After the improbable comeback from four back surgeries that have troubled his return over the last half-decade, many fans believe that we are indeed watching the greatest golfer of all time.

With 14 major championship victories and 80 career wins on the PGA Tour, both second all-time in those categories, the numbers speak for themselves. Tiger trails only Jack Nicklaus for major championships, who has 18, however only 73 career victories on Tour.

Tiger only trails one man for career victories on Tour, Sam Snead, who has 83. However, Snead has only triumphed seven times when competing in major championships, half the amount of Tiger’s 14. With the lack of big performances, many put Snead lower than Tiger.

Although all the statistics support Tiger Woods possibly being the greatest golfer of all time, the biggest impact of Tiger does not show up on any scorecard. His impact on the game and the popularity he brings to the game of golf trump his accolades. He has picked up the entire game TWICE in his career when golf needed someone to put the sport back on the map.

With a championship career spanning over two decades, Tiger Woods continues to put one question swirling in our minds: Is he the GOAT?

About the Writer
Ryan Meis, Staff Writer

Athlete. That is only one word to describe Ryan Meis.

Meis is a junior here at BPHS and plays point guard for the varsity basketball team.

According to Ryan himself, you can usually see him “grinding” in the gym working on his game when he is not in school. But every now and then, you can see him out on the golf course with his brother and dad.

Ryan is not just an athlete, he is a student athlete. With a 4.0 GPA, he is looking to continue his basketball career and pursue medical school after high school.

Meis was persuaded by Mr. Allemang himself to join for his rookie year in journalism.

“I bring enthusiasm and determination to make the paper better,” Meis said.

He writes mostly about what is going on in the sports community. “Anything the boss tells him to write,” he said.

If Ryan could have any one superpower, it would be teleportation.

“I don’t want to miss out on anything,” Meis said.

This avid traveler’s dream vacation is Hawaii. “What is there not to love about Hawaii?” he said.

His perfect date with that special someone would be a date and a movie.

“I’m just a simple guy,” Meis claims.

Ryan’s dad sets an example and teaches Ryan lessons, being his role model and all.

Meis is the type of guy everyone wants to be around. That is why you want a guy like him writing for your paper.

Written by: Parker Loera, Staff Writer