Powderpuff game will now close Homecoming week

Juniors and seniors toe the line of scrimmage during their game last year. The seniors won 33-6.

Maria Cerro

Maria Cerro

Anastasia Williams, Staff Writer

The Powderpuff football game that was cancelled on Sunday, Sept. 9 due to severe rainfall has been rescheduled for Sunday, Sept. 16. Kickoff will be at 6 p.m. in the BPHS Stadium.

Mr. Kszastowski (Mr. K.), Homecoming sponsor, made the executive decision to postpone the game.

He said he postponed the game due to consistent heavy rainfall, poor field conditions, and the safety of the athletes. He also said that since there were many power outages in the area, it was not safe.

“It was an easy decision,” he said.

Mr. K., like many others, is disappointed that the game will not kickoff HOCO week as it traditionally does, but he did make the point that it is closing the week, so it still feels like it is part of the week.

The students at BPHS are not letting this minor setback spoil their fun for the start of Homecoming week.

Senior Julia Herman, said she agrees with the fact that the game was cancelled in light of the poor weather conditions and safety of the athletes.

“If the athletes played in those conditions, they would be more likely to get sick or injured,” she said.

She also does not think that HOCO week will be any less fun and entertaining due to the delayed game. She said that she is attending the game next week as long as her homework situation allows, and of course being that she is a senior, she believes that the seniors will come out victorious next weekend.

Based on the history of the Powderpuff game, the seniors do have the higher winning record. In fact, last year they won by a score of 33-6.

We will have to see who will win on Sunday.

About the Contributors
Anastasia Williams, Staff Writer

Every Friday night, the football games are full of fun and marching band music. The marching band plays throughout the game with unity and confidence....

Maria Cerro, Photography Editor

Upon the arrival of hundreds of buzzing high school students to this wonderful chaos we call BPHS, you may hear the faint thud of a basketball early in the morning. That thud could very well be senior Maria Cerro throwing up shots in preparation for her final season as a Black Hawk.

Cerro has been a varsity starter all four years of high school and plans to attend Indiana University of Pennsylvania to further her academic and athletic career. For her, the morning workouts are just another day in the office.

Aside from her tireless efforts on the basketball court, Maria has been keeping the school updated on the latest news, via Hawk Eye, for two years now. This school year, she plans to climb the ranks of the school newspaper hierarchy and establish herself as a key member of the squad. She plans to “bring more ideas to the table and get everyone involved.”

Maria desires taking the responsibility that comes with a leadership role. Through her participation in sports at a young age, Cerro has learned to value being appointed a leader. “Being a leader allows me to influence my team in order for us to win.” Cerro smirks in the face of this challenge.

No matter who you are, who you are friends with, or what you believe in you can rest assured knowing that you can find a friend in Maria Cerro.