Red Sox win World Series in five games

The Boston Red Sox celebrate a run during their game against the Baltimore Orioles on Aug. 11, 2018.

Keith Allison via Flickr, cc

Keith Allison via Flickr, cc

Tyler Schultz, Deputy Sports Editor

This year’s World Series, which featured the Boston Red Sox and the Los Angeles Dodgers, ended on Sunday night in just five games after a 5-1 victory for the Red Sox.

In Game 1 of the World Series, Boston won by the score of 8-4 to take a 1-0 series lead.

Boston won Game 2 by the score of 4-2 to take a 2-0 series lead. The series shifted to Los Angeles for Games 3 and 4.

In Game 3, Los Angeles came back to win 3-2 to cut the series in half to 2-1 in favor of Boston.

Boston pounded Los Angeles in Game 4 by the score of 9-4 to take a commanding 3-1 series lead. Boston was one win away from their 9th World Series title. It was do-or-die for the Los Angeles Dodgers in Game 5.

In Game 5, Boston won by the score of 5-1 to capture the series 4-1 and their 9th World Series title.

When the 2018 MLB playoffs started, the Boston Red Sox started their mission to capture their  9th World Series title. They opened up against rival New York Yankees in the American League Divisional Series.

In Game 1 of the ALDS, Boston won by the score of 5-4 to take a 1-0 series lead.

In Game 2, the New York Yankees won by the score of 6-2 to tie the series at one game apiece. And the series shifted to New York for Games 3 and 4.

In Game 3, Boston pounded the Yankees by the score of 16-1 to take a commanding 2-1 series lead. It was do-or-die for the Yankees in Game 4.

In Game 4, Boston won by the score of 4-3 to capture the series 3-1 to advance to ALCS to face the Houston Astros.

In Game 1 of the ALCS, Houston won by the score of 7-2 to take a 1-0 series lead.

In Game 2, Boston won by the score of 7-5 to tie the series at one game apiece. The series shifted to Houston for Games 3 and 4.

In Game 3, Boston won by the score of 8-2 to take a 2-1 series lead.

In Game 4, Boston won by the score of 8-6 to take a commanding 3-1 series lead. Boston was looking to beat the defending World Series Champions Houston Astros in five games. It was do-or-die for Houston Astros in Game 5.

In Game 5, Boston won by the score of 4-1 to capture the series 4-1 to advance to the World Series with a match-up with the Los Angeles Dodgers.

When the 2018 MLB playoffs started, the Los Angeles Dodgers started their mission to capture their 7th World Series title. They faced the Atlanta Braves in the National League Divisional series.

In Game 1 of the National League Divisional Series, Los Angeles pounded the Braves 6-0 to take a 1-0 series lead.

Los Angeles won Game 2 by the score of 3-0 to take a 2-0 series lead. Then, the series shifted to Atlanta for Games 3 and 4.

In Game 3, Atlanta won 6-5 and cut the series in half. And it was do-or-die for Atlanta.

Los Angeles won Game 4 by the score of 6-2 to capture the series 3-1 to advance to the NLCS against the Milwaukee Brewers.

In Game 1 of the NLCS, Milwaukee won by the score of 6-5 to take 1-0 series lead.

In Game 2, Los Angeles won 4-3 to even the series at one game apiece. And the series shifted to LA for Games 3 and 4.

Milwaukee won Game 3 by the score of 4-0 to take a 2-1 series lead.

In Game 4, Los Angeles won by the score of 2-1 to tie the series at two games apiece.

In Game 5, LA won 5-2 to take a commanding 3-2 series lead. And Milwaukee was facing elimination for the first time. The series shifted back to Milwaukee for Game 6.

Milwaukee won Game 6 by the score of 7-2 to tie the series at 3 games apiece. And Milwaukee forced a Game 7 in Milwaukee.

In Game 7, LA won 5-1 to capture the series 4-3 to advance to the World Series for the second straight time.

Boston had a victory parade Wednesday, and they will begin their 2018-2019 regular season as the team to hoist the World Series banner.

About the Writer
Tyler Schultz, Deputy Sports Editor

The most vocal Pittsburgh Penguins fan in the entire school may be senior Tyler Schultz. He can always be seen watching game highlights, waving around a fan towel, and wearing Penguins gear. If he isn’t, then well, it’s not a good day in the hockey world.

Since this is his first year writing for the newspaper, he plans to write about what he loves most, hockey. And that’s because for him, “It’s like a real sport, it’s more fast-paced.”

Tyler even wants to make a sports broadcasting column recapping Penguins trades, games, and things of that nature because he claims “more emotion can be let out by doing that.”

And when Tyler graduates, he plans to take his spirit with him to his college of interest, Pitt.

What he is hoping to study there, he doesn’t exactly know. But what he does know is that he wants to do something relating to sports management.

Written by: Stephanie Kroll, Staff Writer