Golden Knights face Pens Thursday night in Pittsburgh

Vegas Golden Knights goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury during a game against the Pittsburgh Penguins, February 6, 2018, at PPG Paints Arena in Pittsburgh, PA.

By Michael Miller [CC BY-SA 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], from Wikimedia Commons

Tyler Schultz, Deputy Sports Editor

The Western Conference Champs the Vegas Golden Knights and 5X Stanley Cup Champions Pittsburgh Penguins face off Thursday night at 7 p.m. in Pittsburgh for a rematch from last year.

The Vegas Golden Knights had an unprecedented 2017-2018 season for an expansion team. They finished the season with 111 points and were in first place in the Pacific Division which consisted of 51 wins, 24 losses, and 7 overtime losses.

The Pittsburgh Penguins finished their 2017-2018 season with a record of 82 wins, 50 losses, and 11 overtime losses and finished in second place with 111 points in the Metropolitan Division.

When the 2018 Stanley Cup Playoffs began, the Pittsburgh Penguins started their mission to capture their sixth Stanley Cup. They faced rival Philadelphia Flyers in the first round. In Game 1, Pittsburgh pounded the Flyers 7-0 and Sidney Crosby had a hat trick and took a 1-0 series lead.

In Game 2, Philadelphia won 5-1 to even the series at one game apiece, and the series shifted to Philadelphia for Games 3 and 4.

In Game 3, Pittsburgh won by the score of 5-1 and took a 2-1 series lead. In Game 4, Pittsburgh shut out the Flyers 5-0 and took a commanding 3-1 series lead. It was a do-or-die for Philly.

In Game 5, Philly won by the score of 4-2, but Pittsburgh still led the series 3-2, and Philadelphia forced a Game 6 in Philadelphia.

In Game 6, Pittsburgh won by a score of 8-5 and captured the series 4-2 to advance to the second round with a rematch with the now 2018 defending Stanley Cup Champions Washington Capitals.

In the first round, the Vegas Golden Knights swept the Los Angeles Kings in four games to advance to the second round.

In the second round, the Golden Knights eliminated the San Jose Sharks in six games to advance to the Western Conference Finals.

In the Western Conference Finals, the Golden Knights eliminated the Winnipeg Jets in five games to advance to the Stanley Cup finals for the first time in franchise history.

In the second round, the Washington Capitals eliminated the 5X Stanley Cup Champions Pittsburgh Penguins in Six games to advance to the Eastern Conference finals for the first time in 19 years.

In the Eastern Conference finals, the Washington Capitals faced off against the Tampa Bay Lightning. The Caps eliminated the Lightning in seven games to advance to the Stanley Cup Finals to meet the Vegas Golden Knights.

In the Stanley Cup Finals, the Vegas Golden Knights and Washington Capitals were set to take center stage of the Stanley Cup Finals. Vegas took Game 1, 6-4, and took a 1-0 series lead.

In Game 2, Washington won 3-2 and evened the Stanley Cup Finals at one game apiece. And the series shifted to Washington for Games 3 and 4.

In Game 3, Washington won 3-1 and took a 2-1 series lead.

In Game 4, Washington scored three goals in the first period, one in the second, and then the teams traded goals in the third– Washington scored two and Vegas scored two. Washington ended up winning Game 4, 6-2, and took a 3-1 series lead, which put them one win away from the team’s first ever Stanley Cup. It was now a do-or-die for the Vegas Golden Knights.

In Game 6, it was scoreless at the end of the first period. In the second period, Washington scored the first two goals to take a 2-0 lead. But, Vegas wasn’t giving up; they scored three goals and took a 3-2 lead at the end of the second period.  In the third period, the Capitals scored two more goals to win Game 6 by the score of 4-3 and captured the series 4-1 and hoisted their first ever Stanley Cup.

Even without Fleury in the net in for Vegas in Pittsburgh, it will be an entertaining game with Fleury in the building, and also based on how last year ended up with Pittsburgh and Vegas splitting each of their wins with one home win for Pittsburgh winning 5-4 and Vegas winning in Vegas by the score of 2-1.

About the Writer
Tyler Schultz, Deputy Sports Editor

The most vocal Pittsburgh Penguins fan in the entire school may be senior Tyler Schultz. He can always be seen watching game highlights, waving around a fan towel, and wearing Penguins gear. If he isn’t, then well, it’s not a good day in the hockey world.

Since this is his first year writing for the newspaper, he plans to write about what he loves most, hockey. And that’s because for him, “It’s like a real sport, it’s more fast-paced.”

Tyler even wants to make a sports broadcasting column recapping Penguins trades, games, and things of that nature because he claims “more emotion can be let out by doing that.”

And when Tyler graduates, he plans to take his spirit with him to his college of interest, Pitt.

What he is hoping to study there, he doesn’t exactly know. But what he does know is that he wants to do something relating to sports management.

Written by: Stephanie Kroll, Staff Writer