Lady Hawks surrender to Big Macs

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lady Hawks surrender to Big Macs

FOCUSED ON HER FEET, sophomore Teagan Mehalko looks to take the ball from a Lady Mac in their game on Sept. 17.

Alex Mullen

Alex Mullen

Alex Mullen

Olivia Westphal, Staff Writer

On Monday, Oct. 8, the Lady Hawks (6-5-3) competed against Canon McMillan (9-5-2) at Big Mac stadium. The Lady Macs defeated the Hawks, 2-1.

The Big Macs struck first when they scored midway through the first half. They held onto their lead into halftime.

As time was ticking down in the second half, the Hawks needed a goal. Senior captain Julia Mascaro stepped up and put one in the back of the net. After the buzzer sounded, the score was tied at 1-1.

“Julia’s goal really pumped up the team,” said sophomore center back, Nina Zonghetti.

Despite this, about five minutes into overtime, the Big Macs responded with a goal making the final score 2-1.

Earlier in the year, they faced Cannon Mac and defeated them 1-0.

The Lady Hawks’ next game is Wednesday, Oct. 10 at The Nest. They face their section competitor Brashear (0-16) at 7:30 p.m. The last matchup of these two teams ended in a 9-1 victory for the Hawks.

It is also Senior Night for the soccer team. Come out and show your support for your seniors.