After undefeated season, Hawks ready for playoffs

Senior and captain Grant Jansante jumps up for a spike during practice earlier in the season.

Photo credit: Korey Hajduk

Photo credit: Korey Hajduk

Nick Guimond, Staff Writer

The Hawks have consistently put together a good volleyball team for years now. But with not much room to top their very successful predecessors, somehow the Hawks have found a way this year, too.

The Hawks are currently 16-0 with their most recent win in their last game of the season. They have finished undefeated for the 2018 season and will be playing in the WPIAL playoffs.

This work and leadership can definitely be credited to the seniors on the team like Grant Jansante, who when asked about the team leaders he said: “Dylan Schanck is our team captain this year and he does a good job keeping us all focused. The other two seniors are Jake Cunningham and me. Although we each only have two years of experience, we do what we can to add to the leadership.”

After graduating a large number of seniors last year, the team had to make some changes, and clearly they’ve found a lot of success in doing so.

Jansante said: “Last year we had a more experienced team with six seniors. We are young and inexperienced this year, but we play well as a team.”

The Hawks have proven this in their undefeated season, in which they knocked off big names like: Central Catholic, NA, Butler, and Central York!

Because of their stellar season, the Hawks earned a bye for the first round of playoffs and will host Hempfield on Thursday, May 17 at 7:30 p.m.

On the topic of the upcoming playoff run, Jansante believes, “There are a lot of great teams this year, but if we play our game, I think we’ll have a chance to go far in playoffs.”

Tickets are $7 for adults and $5 for students and can be purchased at the game. Penn Trafford will be playing the winner of Seneca Valley/Latrobe at 6 p.m. before Bethel’s game.

About the Writer
Nick Guimond, Video Editor

The YMCA ice rink is where you can find the ice hockey team’s three-year varsity starter Nick Guimond, aka Nicky G. Nick is a senior and this is his second year writing for Hawk Eye, the online newspaper. He hopes to bring a strong influence to this year’s sports articles, by leading the new writers in the right direction.

When asked if there was anything else he hopes to contribute, Nick simply said, “My man Mullen and I are going to be making The Hawk Seat better than ever this year with insanely cool videos.”

Speaking of which, The Hawk Seat is currently in the market for one new member, after losing senior anchor Gavin Campbell.

In the future, Nick plans on attending college and has high hopes to play ice hockey at the collegiate level. Once at college, he wants to pursue being a mechanical engineer because of his extreme skill in mathematics.

When it comes to superpowers, it is a clear decision for Nick, as he wants to be just like his favorite superhero, The Flash. With this being said, having super speed would be the most appealing to Nick.

“The great white north or should I say, Canada, is always calling me back every time I think of where I would like to go for my dream vacation,” Nick said in response to the question about his dream vacation.

But if he had the opportunity for a dream date, Nick likes to keep it simple.

“A nice long walk on the beach would set the mood just right.”

Written by: Alex Mullen, Staff Writer