Boys basketball having a comeback season

Senior Jake Nuttridge drives to the net during the boys game against Trinity on Dec. 12.

Maria Cerro

Maria Cerro

Logan Wright, Staff Writer

After a disappointing 2016-2017 season in which they finished last in their section with an overall record of 6-16, the boys varsity basketball team has rebounded this season and currently sits at 2-2 in their section and 6-5 overall.

They currently sit at 4th place in Section 2.  They have wins over Peters Township (0-4, 4-7) and Upper St. Clair (3-2, 7-5) and losses to Mt. Lebanon (4-0, 11-1) and Canon Mac (3-1, 9-1).

Most recently, on Friday, Jan. 5, the team lost a close one to Canon Mac, 58-54.

At half, the boys lead 29-27.

The high scorers of the game were Tommy DiRienzo with 13, Alex Mullen with 13 and Justin Meis with 11.

Next on the schedule is a section match against Connellsville (2-3, 7-5) at home on Friday, Jan. 12. The Falcons sit just one spot beneath the Hawks.  They also lost to Mt. Lebanon and Canon Mac, so it should be a fairly evenly matched game.

Come out and support the Hawks in this very important section matchup. Tip-off is 7:30 PM.

Click here to keep up with the Hawks.  You can also follow them on Twitter.

About the Contributors
Logan Wright, Staff Writer

The gym is loud. The crowd is cheering. The stands are filled with hundreds of fans. On Tuesdays and Fridays in the high school gym is where you will find Logan Wright playing basketball.

Logan Wright is a sophomore and in his second year writing for Hawk Eye. He joined this class by the recommendation of Mr. Knapp. Logan is planning on bringing fantastic sports articles to this year’s paper.

If you don’t see him working on his articles, you can probably find him in the gym practicing basketball. Logan is part of the high school basketball team coached by Josh Bears. After high school, Logan is planning on attending college, but he doesn’t plan on pursuing journalism.

If Logan could have any superpower, “I would like to be invisible, so no one could see me,” he said.

An ideal date for Logan would be “dinner and a movie.

If Logan could go on vacation to anywhere in the world, he said, “I would most likely go to Jamaica to see all the variety of colors.”

Make sure you check Hawk Eye after the sports games to read all of Logan’s great sports articles.

Written by Olivia Westphal

Maria Cerro, Photography Editor

Upon the arrival of hundreds of buzzing high school students to this wonderful chaos we call BPHS, you may hear the faint thud of a basketball early in the morning. That thud could very well be senior Maria Cerro throwing up shots in preparation for her final season as a Black Hawk.

Cerro has been a varsity starter all four years of high school and plans to attend Indiana University of Pennsylvania to further her academic and athletic career. For her, the morning workouts are just another day in the office.

Aside from her tireless efforts on the basketball court, Maria has been keeping the school updated on the latest news, via Hawk Eye, for two years now. This school year, she plans to climb the ranks of the school newspaper hierarchy and establish herself as a key member of the squad. She plans to “bring more ideas to the table and get everyone involved.”

Maria desires taking the responsibility that comes with a leadership role. Through her participation in sports at a young age, Cerro has learned to value being appointed a leader. “Being a leader allows me to influence my team in order for us to win.” Cerro smirks in the face of this challenge.

No matter who you are, who you are friends with, or what you believe in you can rest assured knowing that you can find a friend in Maria Cerro.