Fans Wanted: Basketball

A group of Bethel Park fans pose for a pic during the girls game against Hempfield in round 1 of the Tip-Off Tournament on Friday, Dec. 8.

Logan Wright

Logan Wright

Gavin Campbell, Staff Writer

Jam packed with a roaring crowd. Fans rise to their feet and cheer when a turnover transforms into three points. This is what senior leaders Kam Lach and Nick Bomar dream of. Basketball is one of America’s most popular sports. However, Bethel Park basketball may not be getting the attention it deserves.

The teams are more than thankful for the fans they recieve. Lach said that “the core group we get now is solid…. It means a lot to know that we get support and knowing that people like watching us play.” However, “more is always better.”

On the boys’ side, senior Nick Bomar believes that having fans at the games translate to wins. “It really means a lot because I believe our team plays off the crowd, if they get hype we get hype,” said Bomar. This could be a very scary sight for other teams, and Bomar made sure to emphasize that they “are a scary team to play when [they] play with emotion.”

Last season, the girls managed to get 50-75 student fans at one of their games, the WPIAL Championship. While this year’s team is not the same group, the talent is still there. Lach said they “don’t think [they] deserve the hype like [they] did” because they have yet to make it to the WPIAL Championship game.

A championship contender team looking for revenge, and a fresh, new start team looking to make their name; both are in need of fans. Girls basketball plays Mt. Lebanon Monday night at 7:30 and the boys team plays Connellsville Friday at 7:30. Make sure you go out and be part of the movement!