Fans Wanted: Basketball

A group of Bethel Park fans pose for a pic during the girls game against Hempfield in round 1 of the Tip-Off Tournament on Friday, Dec. 8.

Logan Wright

Logan Wright

Gavin Campbell, Staff Writer

Jam packed with a roaring crowd. Fans rise to their feet and cheer when a turnover transforms into three points. This is what senior leaders Kam Lach and Nick Bomar dream of. Basketball is one of America’s most popular sports. However, Bethel Park basketball may not be getting the attention it deserves.

The teams are more than thankful for the fans they recieve. Lach said that “the core group we get now is solid…. It means a lot to know that we get support and knowing that people like watching us play.” However, “more is always better.”

On the boys’ side, senior Nick Bomar believes that having fans at the games translate to wins. “It really means a lot because I believe our team plays off the crowd, if they get hype we get hype,” said Bomar. This could be a very scary sight for other teams, and Bomar made sure to emphasize that they “are a scary team to play when [they] play with emotion.”

Last season, the girls managed to get 50-75 student fans at one of their games, the WPIAL Championship. While this year’s team is not the same group, the talent is still there. Lach said they “don’t think [they] deserve the hype like [they] did” because they have yet to make it to the WPIAL Championship game.

A championship contender team looking for revenge, and a fresh, new start team looking to make their name; both are in need of fans. Girls basketball plays Mt. Lebanon Monday night at 7:30 and the boys team plays Connellsville Friday at 7:30. Make sure you go out and be part of the movement!

About the Contributors
Gavin Campbell, Staff Writer

Involved. That’s a pretty easy way to describe Gavin Campbell.

Gavin does it all, participating in lacrosse, DECA, chess club, TLC, and now writing for Hawk Eye.

Gavin summed it up by saying, “I do pretty much everything.”

It doesn’t stop there, though. Gavin also is employed at Duck Donuts.

He still finds a way though to balance all these activities with his schoolwork. Gavin’s favorite subject is history, but his favorite teacher was his biology teacher Mr. O’Brien. “He’s a father figure to me,” Gavin added.

Something that many people may not know about Gavin is that he has created a sport called thonball. “It was a big hit around the school,” Gavin added. Gavin believes thonball has grown so much that the Olympics are considering it for 2020! Okay, that last statement may be a bit of a stretch.

When asked to describe himself in three words, Gavin came up with “fearless, humble yet proud, and shrewd.” All traits of a good journalist.

If Gavin had one superpower it would be to stop time. Another fun fact about Gavin is his love for Mexican food.

Through his journalism, Gavin hopes to make BPHS a better place.  Gavin ultimately hopes to uncover “the truth.”

Journalists like Gavin are what make the world a better place.

Written by Ty Miller, Staff Writer

Logan Wright, Staff Writer

The gym is loud. The crowd is cheering. The stands are filled with hundreds of fans. On Tuesdays and Fridays in the high school gym is where you will find Logan Wright playing basketball.

Logan Wright is a sophomore and in his second year writing for Hawk Eye. He joined this class by the recommendation of Mr. Knapp. Logan is planning on bringing fantastic sports articles to this year’s paper.

If you don’t see him working on his articles, you can probably find him in the gym practicing basketball. Logan is part of the high school basketball team coached by Josh Bears. After high school, Logan is planning on attending college, but he doesn’t plan on pursuing journalism.

If Logan could have any superpower, “I would like to be invisible, so no one could see me,” he said.

An ideal date for Logan would be “dinner and a movie.

If Logan could go on vacation to anywhere in the world, he said, “I would most likely go to Jamaica to see all the variety of colors.”

Make sure you check Hawk Eye after the sports games to read all of Logan’s great sports articles.

Written by Olivia Westphal