“Bo-sanity” is Bethel’s newest movement

Nick Bomar looks to make a play in a game against Trinity on Tuesday, Dec. 12.

Maria Cerro

Maria Cerro

Gavin Campbell, Staff Writer

You’ve heard about the M&Ms of Bethel Park basketball, Ryan and Justin Meis. But have you heard of the new wave that is going down called “Bo-sanity”? Nick Bomar is a senior on the boys basketball team and is quickly becoming the premier player of the WPIAL.

#00 on the court, Nick Bomar has been referred to as one of the shiftiest and elusive players in the league today, quickly drawing comparisons to NBA Superstar Jeremy Lin and all time legend Vince Carter. A wave passed down from great to great, the “Vinsanity” movement transformed to Jeremy Lin and “Linsanity” and has now become “Bo-sanity.”

Nick Bomar is the type of player you want on your team. Bomar’s main goal is to chase W’s, which makes his work ethic comparable to that of an elite player. Bomar looks to “help the team win in any way possible, if that means scoring, rebounding, or defending… I will be a leader for the team.”

This type of work ethic has been radiating through the boys basketball team and was apparent in their victory over Upper St. Clair on Tuesday, Jan. 2. Late in the game, Bomar hit several key free throws to secure the win for the Hawks, doing whatever it takes to win the game. While Bomar may not have been the top scorer, he never lets his time on the court go unrecognized. Bomar’s defense helped keep the Panthers off of the board for the majority of the game.

Bomar credits Tuesday’s, as well as this season’s, success to his drive in this senior campaign. “It means a lot, I’ve been waiting for this opportunity for awhile. I’ve never been the bet growing up, then I put the work in, working my way up the ladder waiting for this season to shine.”

Bomar’s been playing ever since he could remember. Basketball is in his blood, older brother Anthony is a basketball star at Chatham University. Bomar says his brother’s love for the game inspired him.

He had this to say about his bold #00: “I went to 00 because Russell Westbrook is my favorite player by the way he carries himself on the court… coming back from a rough season last year 00 [is a] fresh start and last season is not who we are.”

Bomar looks to have a bounce back season for the team. Catch the Hawks Friday, Jan. 12 at 7:30 p.m. against Connellsville and see “Bo-sanity” Nick Bomar himself in action!

About the Contributors
Gavin Campbell, Staff Writer

Involved. That’s a pretty easy way to describe Gavin Campbell.

Gavin does it all, participating in lacrosse, DECA, chess club, TLC, and now writing for Hawk Eye.

Gavin summed it up by saying, “I do pretty much everything.”

It doesn’t stop there, though. Gavin also is employed at Duck Donuts.

He still finds a way though to balance all these activities with his schoolwork. Gavin’s favorite subject is history, but his favorite teacher was his biology teacher Mr. O’Brien. “He’s a father figure to me,” Gavin added.

Something that many people may not know about Gavin is that he has created a sport called thonball. “It was a big hit around the school,” Gavin added. Gavin believes thonball has grown so much that the Olympics are considering it for 2020! Okay, that last statement may be a bit of a stretch.

When asked to describe himself in three words, Gavin came up with “fearless, humble yet proud, and shrewd.” All traits of a good journalist.

If Gavin had one superpower it would be to stop time. Another fun fact about Gavin is his love for Mexican food.

Through his journalism, Gavin hopes to make BPHS a better place.  Gavin ultimately hopes to uncover “the truth.”

Journalists like Gavin are what make the world a better place.

Written by Ty Miller, Staff Writer

Maria Cerro, Photography Editor

Upon the arrival of hundreds of buzzing high school students to this wonderful chaos we call BPHS, you may hear the faint thud of a basketball early in the morning. That thud could very well be senior Maria Cerro throwing up shots in preparation for her final season as a Black Hawk.

Cerro has been a varsity starter all four years of high school and plans to attend Indiana University of Pennsylvania to further her academic and athletic career. For her, the morning workouts are just another day in the office.

Aside from her tireless efforts on the basketball court, Maria has been keeping the school updated on the latest news, via Hawk Eye, for two years now. This school year, she plans to climb the ranks of the school newspaper hierarchy and establish herself as a key member of the squad. She plans to “bring more ideas to the table and get everyone involved.”

Maria desires taking the responsibility that comes with a leadership role. Through her participation in sports at a young age, Cerro has learned to value being appointed a leader. “Being a leader allows me to influence my team in order for us to win.” Cerro smirks in the face of this challenge.

No matter who you are, who you are friends with, or what you believe in you can rest assured knowing that you can find a friend in Maria Cerro.