Cold rain doesn’t dampen seniors’ spirits

ANXIOUS TO PERFORM IN THE RAIN, the marching band is ready to do their first performance of the year in the rain.

John Williams

John Williams

Anastasia Williams, Staff Writer

Seniors in the marching band and on the cheerleading and football teams were honored at the home football game vs. USC on Friday, Oct. 26.

It was a bittersweet night for most of the seniors knowing that this could potentially be their last home game at Black Hawk Stadium.

Unfortunately for the seniors, mother nature was not kind to them on Friday. Bethel Park got pummeled all night long and throughout the weekend with cold rain. However, even though everyone couldn’t feel their hands or toes, that didn’t spoil the seniors’ fun.

Senior and marching band member Connor Remmington said that the night was generally “okay.” However, he said that it would have been better if it wasn’t so cold and rainy, but he said that he still enjoyed the night.

At the beginning of the night, parents of the seniors in the marching band met with their children in the stadium for a picture before the night began, but because of the bad weather, they met at the main entrance of the school.

Also, each senior in the band recieved a traditional flower to pin on their uniform to signify that they are seniors. During the game, our current seniors were recognized on the main scoreboard and had pictures of them in the concession stands.

At halftime, the marching band did their special “Senior Night Show.” The main song was the “Paul Simon Opener.” The band played it as they marched to the number 19 in honor of our graduating class.

During that performance, the majorettes and some marching band members put together a routine that they performed in the middle of the song, which added a fun vibe to the audience.

Another fun tradition was after the opening song. All of the senior marching band members stood on the sidelines with their parents and were called out one-by-one by Marching Band Director, Mr. Thompson.

The Black Hawks held onto a slim 20-14 lead and beat USC to clinch a good playoff spot and closed out a very rainy Senior Night.

This Friday, Nov. 2, the Black Hawks will take on Franklin Regional at home for their first playoff game of the year. The game will start at 7:30 p.m. at Black Hawk Stadium and admission is $5 per person. We hope to see you there.

About the Writer
Anastasia Williams, Staff Writer

Every Friday night, the football games are full of fun and marching band music. The marching band plays throughout the game with unity and confidence....