The Hawk Seat heats up

James Krandel (left) and Tanner Volpatti (right) pose civilly on the football field.

Gavin Campbell, Staff Writer

Two superstars have been clashing as of late. The question is: Who is the most elite athlete in Bethel Park?

On September 15, 2017 the Hawk Seat made its debut to the world. Alex Mullen and Gavin Campbell sat down at the illustrious Hawk Seat broadcast table. Their guest, Tanner Volpatti. The pilot episode of the Hawk Seat accumulated thousands of views via Hawk Eye. Volpatti was bolstered into superstardom. But did it come with a price?

Fast forward to February 1, 2018, James Krandel joined the cast for the newest episode of the Hawk Seat. What was so intriguing was that the episode was the first part of the new “Elite Faces of BP,” named in homage of Tanner Volpatti. The interview was going well and a few Tanner Volpatti references were thrown in. This obviously upset Krandel who believed that Tanner was stealing his spotlight, while not even being there. The duo had been friends since they were nine years old, that’s nine years of friendship, and also nine years that Krandel has been in Volpatti’s shadow.

When asked if he was elite, Krandel simply said, “I’m more elite than Tanner Volpatti.”

And so the debate began. Is James Krandel more elite than Tanner Volpatti?

“How many people can say that they’re the fastest in the state?” Kam Lach commented on the eliteness of Krandel over Volpatti.

Tanner Volpatti erupted, “25 touchdowns. More elite than me!!? Did you really see him on the field or the sidelines.” It’s no secret that the Hawks leaned heavily on the run game this season, and Volpatti wants to make sure Krandel knows that.   

Both sides have gained some heat from Hawk Seat fans. The Chief Correspondent of the Hawk Seat, Nick Guimond, stated, “Tanner Volpatti. Never wrong. But also James is never wrong so I don’t know.”

“[Krandel’s comment] hurt me emotionally, like he was almost throwing the friendship away. It’s really a shame.” Volpatti, obviously flustered, had one last thing to say about Krandel, “The sport I am in is harder to be elite in, rather than just running.”

So Hawk Seat fans, who is the elite athlete of Bethel Park, James Krandel or Tanner Volpatti, or is it neither of them? Next week, we have Volpatti on the show to make his commitment to Slippery Rock. But we also have a pretty “elite” hockey player, by the name of JC Bele… tune in and see what happens.

About the Writer
Gavin Campbell, Staff Writer

Involved. That’s a pretty easy way to describe Gavin Campbell.

Gavin does it all, participating in lacrosse, DECA, chess club, TLC, and now writing for Hawk Eye.

Gavin summed it up by saying, “I do pretty much everything.”

It doesn’t stop there, though. Gavin also is employed at Duck Donuts.

He still finds a way though to balance all these activities with his schoolwork. Gavin’s favorite subject is history, but his favorite teacher was his biology teacher Mr. O’Brien. “He’s a father figure to me,” Gavin added.

Something that many people may not know about Gavin is that he has created a sport called thonball. “It was a big hit around the school,” Gavin added. Gavin believes thonball has grown so much that the Olympics are considering it for 2020! Okay, that last statement may be a bit of a stretch.

When asked to describe himself in three words, Gavin came up with “fearless, humble yet proud, and shrewd.” All traits of a good journalist.

If Gavin had one superpower it would be to stop time. Another fun fact about Gavin is his love for Mexican food.

Through his journalism, Gavin hopes to make BPHS a better place.  Gavin ultimately hopes to uncover “the truth.”

Journalists like Gavin are what make the world a better place.

Written by Ty Miller, Staff Writer