It’s time to get rid of the one-and-done rule

Back to Article
Back to Article

Zion Williamson :: Duke Men's Basketball NCAA

Keenan Hairston from Raleigh [CC BY-SA 2.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)]

Matthew Szymanowski, Deputy Sports Editor

This past Wednesday, thousands of people packed the Cameron Indoor Stadium in Durham, North Carolina to see the greatest rivalry in college basketball: Duke vs. North Carolina. Ticket prices sold for crazy amounts as all of these fans wanted to see the best player in college basketball, Zion Williamson. Duke fans went crazy as the 6’7, 284-pound tank took the court in the big rivalry.

The fans were utterly disappointed. 36 seconds into the game, Williamson slipped and stayed down. His foot had gone through his shoe, and he was holding the back of his leg. Williamson would leave the game and not return, much to the disappointment of the fans. To add insult to injury, Duke went on to lose on their home court, 88-72.

Following the game, the question was asked: Can we get rid of the one-and-done rule?

The one-and-done rule states that a player who wants to go into the NBA Draft is required to play one year in college. This rule was implemented in 2006 and still stands to this day. After Williamson’s injury, things might be changing.

College basketball is one of the most exciting sports. People from all over the country watch March Madness to see who wins the NCAA Championship. Some players hit their prime in college, and that helps them get recognized for the NBA. Other players, such as LeBron James and Kobe Bryant, knew they were NBA ready and did not go to college. They went on to have extremely successful careers without playing college basketball.

It’s time to bring back that opportunity for players. Williamson could have been extremely injured in that game. If he was, he would never have gotten the chance to play in the NBA, even though he is ready, and make the money he deserves.

College athletes don’t get paid, which is a whole other controversy in itself.

But, as much as I love college basketball and watching these NBA athletes, the one-and-done rule has to go. Players who are NBA ready should be allowed to go straight from high school to the NBA so they don’t risk injury.

About the Writer

On the local baseball field, or at almost every MLB stadium is where you can find Matt Szymanowski.

In his first year at BPHS, Matt is a sophomore,...