Arming teachers is not the answer

Logan Wright, Staff Writer

In light of several school shootings over the years, the question of whether or not teachers should be armed has come up. Even though there are good reasons why teachers should be armed, such as an intruders in the building, I feel that the cons outweigh the pros and so teachers should never be armed in school. There are three reasons why I believe this to be the case.

First, if there is an intruder in the school, you should be following ALICE (Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, Evacuate). ALICE is an effective response to an intruder. It is the teacher’s job to follow ALICE and ensure that students are safe. The police will do their job too and apprehend the intruder (with guns if necessary).

Second, if teachers are armed, then students could possibly find out where the weapon is at or can take it from the teacher and use it to harm themselves or others. There have been many accidents outside of school where children have gotten ahold of their parents guns and accidentally hurt or killed themselves or others.

Last, teachers would have to be properly trained on how to use the weapons. This would cost the district money and take up teacher’s time from other responsibilities. Teachers would also have to be willing to be armed, and some teachers might not be comfortable with a gun or want that responsibility. After all, they became teachers to teach not to carry guns.

In conclusion, I know that teachers shouldn’t be armed for good reasons and it should stay that way for a long time, for our good and the teacher’s good.