What is DECA?

DECA students proudly display their hardware at the DECA District III Career and Development Conference.

Emily Smoller

Emily Smoller

Gavin Campbell, Staff Writer

You’ve probably heard a lot about DECA throughout the school, whether on the morning news, from friends, or on social media. But what is DECA? By definition, it is an acronym for the Distributive Education Clubs for America.  State Vice President Paige Davidson was generously willing to offer a deeper look into what DECA is all about.

Hawk Eye: So what is DECA?

Paige: DECA is a marketing club that prepares emerging leaders and entrepreneurs in marketing, finance, hospitality and management in high schools and colleges around the globe. It is one of the biggest clubs in the high school, as well as one of the most well known and most recognizable organizations for high school students.

Hawk Eye: How did you get involved with DECA?

Paige: I joined DECA my freshman year. I actually waited until the last minute because I figured I wouldn’t be any good at it and I thought I had no interest going into the marketing field later on in life… funny how things change.

Hawk Eye: What is your favorite part about DECA?

Paige: DECA has two sides to me: the marketing side and then the social aspect of it. So it’s always hard to pinpoint my favorite thing about it. Looking at it from a marketing standpoint, my favorite part is how well it prepares me for my future (college, jobs, real world problem solving, etc). But also love having the opportunity to travel across the country and meet all kinds of different people who share the same passion for DECA as I do.

Paige Davidson proudly shows off her “I am a DECA Member” sign.

Hawk Eye: How long have you been in DECA?

Paige: I’ve been competing in the DECA competition for four years now, so I’ve had the opportunity to maximize the number and style of events I’ve competed in. I’ve competed in Principles of Business Administration, Logistic Role Plays, Business Law & Ethics Role Plays, Entrepreneurship Innovation Projects, and Entrepreneurship Promotion Projects.

Hawk Eye: How does DECA help prepare you for the future?

Paige: No matter what field you’re going into in the future, DECA can help prepare you for it. With over 50 competitive events, DECA has one that can help anyone get practice dealing with real world scenarios or even just give them opportunities to problem solve and practice their communication abilities.

Hawk Eye: What is your recommendation for students about joining DECA?

Paige: I would recommend DECA to anyone and everyone. I’ve never heard anyone say that they regret joining DECA. Everyone can get something beneficial out of it, whether they realize it now or later down the road when they sit down for a job interview and nail it due to all of their experience in DECA. Personally, DECA has helped me grow as a person and help me face challenges that I never thought I could; whether it’s speaking to a room filled with 2,500 DECA members or sitting down for a job interview… I owe all my confidence in doing those things to DECA. I’ve also met some of my best friends in DECA, and have had the opportunity to travel the world with them… what more could I ask for?

As you can see, DECA is a well-rounded program that can be of assistance to anyone in the school. Qualifying students are now preparing to go to Hershey for the State Competition, and those who qualify there will go to Atlanta! If you’re a student who wants to put an emphasis on preparing for real world scenarios, DECA might just be for you!

About the Writer
Gavin Campbell, Staff Writer

Involved. That’s a pretty easy way to describe Gavin Campbell.

Gavin does it all, participating in lacrosse, DECA, chess club, TLC, and now writing for Hawk Eye.

Gavin summed it up by saying, “I do pretty much everything.”

It doesn’t stop there, though. Gavin also is employed at Duck Donuts.

He still finds a way though to balance all these activities with his schoolwork. Gavin’s favorite subject is history, but his favorite teacher was his biology teacher Mr. O’Brien. “He’s a father figure to me,” Gavin added.

Something that many people may not know about Gavin is that he has created a sport called thonball. “It was a big hit around the school,” Gavin added. Gavin believes thonball has grown so much that the Olympics are considering it for 2020! Okay, that last statement may be a bit of a stretch.

When asked to describe himself in three words, Gavin came up with “fearless, humble yet proud, and shrewd.” All traits of a good journalist.

If Gavin had one superpower it would be to stop time. Another fun fact about Gavin is his love for Mexican food.

Through his journalism, Gavin hopes to make BPHS a better place.  Gavin ultimately hopes to uncover “the truth.”

Journalists like Gavin are what make the world a better place.

Written by Ty Miller, Staff Writer