Kathryn Boff looks to make a pass during the Lady Hawks game vs Shaler on Dec. 5.
Kathryn Boff looks to make a pass during the Lady Hawks’ game vs Shaler on Dec. 5.
Liz Mackey

Lady Hawks knock off defending WPIAL champs

In a highly anticipated non-section matchup with the returning WPIAL champions, the girls varsity basketball team showcased their skill as they faced off against South Fayette in their home opener this past Friday night.

The Lady Hawks displayed confidence throughout the game, and as the final buzzer resonated through the gym, the Lady Hawks emerged victorious.

“I’m really proud of how the team executed throughout the game. Basketball is a game of runs; we had one in the third and SF had one in the fourth. We maintained composure, controlled the pace of the game, and got a big win. Lots to be excited about as the team continues to grow individually and together!” Coach Steve Norman said.

In the opening quarter, the Lady Hawks established an early lead of 17-12. Notably, Julia Benlock contributed 11 points to their score.

Maintaining their edge through the first half, the Lady Hawks concluded the initial two quarters with a score of 27-21.

The third quarter saw the Lady Hawks further extending their lead, 43-30.

However, the South Fayette Lions, not willing to concede defeat, initiated a nail-biting comeback in the fourth quarter.

In a tense climax to the game, the Lions steadily closed the gap, bringing the score within 3 points with just 2:11 remaining.

With the clock ticking down, the Lady Hawks clung to a narrow two-point lead with a mere 7.3 seconds left on the game clock, ultimately securing their victory at 56-54.

Ella Sabatos and Julia Benlock both tallied 15 points in the win.

I think our win against South Fayette was a great team win and a big confidence boost for us. We all played together and made the right choices on offense. Our defense as a team was great, and we all had each other’s backs. We are all getting better day by day.”

— Ella Sabatos

“It was a great team win and everyone contributed something. It was a great way to start our first home game,” Benlock said.

With this hard-fought win, the Lady Hawks improved their season record to 2-2, marking a promising path for the season ahead.

Looking ahead, the Lady Hawks will host Mckeesport in another non-section matchup scheduled for this Monday night, Dec. 11. The junior varsity game tips off at 6 p.m., followed by the varsity showdown at 7:30 p.m., promising another night of intense basketball action.