Football team wins rivalry game against USC

Remains unblemished in section play
The football team tangles with USC in their rivalry game Friday, Oct. 6.
Liz Mackey

The varsity football team won a big rivalry game against Upper St. Clair, 22-10, last Friday.

With the win, the Hawks improved to 2-0 in the Class 5A Allegheny Six.

Ryan Petras got the first points on the board for the Hawks after a 63-yard touchdown run in the first quarter.

Petras deflected the credit to his coach and blockers. “Coach made a great play call, and my blockers did a great job on the edge and just set the hole for me,” Petras said. (Antonio Rossetti, Tribune-Review).

At the half, the score was knotted at 7.

In the third quarter, a 77-yard run from Ryan Petras was followed up by a 4-yard touchdown run from David Dennison. This, coupled with a PAT by Tommy Bova, put the Hawks ahead 14-7.

Dennison scored two touchdowns in the win. His second coming with just 5:15 remaining in the game.

A safety put the icing on the cake and gave the Hawks the 22-10 win.

“In a game like this, it’s about getting your best players the ball and I think that the offensive line did a great job throughout the course of the night of executing their jobs,” Coach Peckich said. “Ryan’s special player with the ball, and Dave is a special player with the ball.” (Antonio Rossetti, Tribune-Review).

Next up for the Hawks is another section game at Moon on Friday, Oct. 13.