Lady Hawks plan path to Pete

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lady Hawks plan path to Pete

Olivia Westphal makes her way through the team tunnel during introductions to the Lady Hawks' game vs. West A on Jan. 26.

Alivia Cerro

Alivia Cerro

Alivia Cerro

Olivia Westphal, Staff Writer

On the evening of Feb. 12, a council met to determine the Lady Hawks’ fate in the playoffs. They decided to make them the No. 4 seed.

On their side, they have Seneca Valley, Fox Chapel, and Peters Township. They face Seneca Valley in the first round. The matchup is slated for Friday, Feb. 22 at a neutral site to soon be determined.

Earlier in the week, the Post-Gazette made their predictions. They had Peters as No. 1, North Allegheny as No. 2, Bethel Park as No. 3, and Norwin as No. 4. These seedings seem to make a lot of sense so no one would play a section opponent in the semifinals.

The council didn’t seem to feel the same way as the P-G did. With North Allegheny and Norwin splitting their section, they made them the No. 2 and No. 3 seeds respectively.

Last year, the Lady Hawks were given the No. 3 seed. They got a bye the first round and faced Latrobe in the quarterfinals. They beat Latrobe by a good bit and advanced to play Peters in the semifinals. That matchup would have been the third time they faced Peters in that season.

They ended up losing to Peters and Peters advanced to play for the WPIAL Championship. Peters lost to North Allegheny and North Allegheny was named the girls 6A WPIAL Champions.

The Lady Hawks lost to Peters twice this year, and they might have a chance to get another crack at them.

Junior guard Juliana Carbone said, “This is the most exciting part of high school basketball. Getting to play for the State and WPIAL Championship is why we practice so hard and why we play so hard.”

Lauren Mullen, a junior guard, said, “Not everyone gets to make playoffs, so we have to make the most of it, work hard, and in the end, we will get what we earned.”

When asked what is her mindset heading into the playoffs, Coach Burke, the Lady Hawks’ head coach, said: “The playoffs are a great opportunity for anything to happen. We are excited and eager to be a part of them and to have this opportunity. We want to extend our season as long a possible. Our goal is always to get into the tournament and then the goal is to get the Championship.”

The Lady Hawks start their path to the Pete. The team is urging everyone to come out and show some love to the Lady Hawks as they look to win the second ever WPIAL Championship in school history.

About the Writer
Olivia Westphal, Staff Writer

You can find her in the gym working on her game.

Olivia Westphal is a sophomore and in her first year writing for the Hawk Eye. She joined this class...