Athlete of the Week: Sean McGowan

ON THE RUN, running back Sean McGowan has his eyes on the end zone

Paul Studt SportsByPaul.com

Paul Studt SportsByPaul.com

Juliana Carbone, Deputy Photography Editor

Junior Sean McGowan is a well-known athlete here at Bethel Park. McGowan plays both varsity football and baseball for the Hawks. Under the Friday night lights, Sean is seen playing running back, wide receiver, and free safety.

McGowan had a total of 102 yards this past week, helping the Hawks defeat the Colts, 49-21. He has a total of seven touchdowns so far this season and plans on scoring more during the upcoming games.

This past week, McGowan was nominated for the WPXI Skylight Player of the Week. Sean is a humble athlete who doesn’t like to brag about statistics and accomplishments.

In fact, when asked how many total yards he has so far this season, he simply said, “To be honest I’m not sure. All I know is I had 304 yards over the past two games.”

McGowan likes to emphasize the ‘student’ part in the term student-athlete. His go-get-it mentality helps him be successful both on and off the field(s). McGowan currently has a 3.6 GPA.

Whether it’s on the football field or the baseball field, McGowan is a well-respected athlete by teammates, coaches, and even opponents.

Junior Ryan Meis, a former teammate of McGowan, said, “Watching Sean play football is like watching a feather fall from the sky–so graceful, so peaceful.”

Make sure you come out and watch McGowan, and the rest of the Black Hawks, as they continue to impress the community and fuel school spirit.

About the Writer

In ten years from now, you can see Juliana walking from room to room taking care of patients as a PA, but for now you can see Juliana roaming the hallways looking for a good story to write.

Juliana Carbone is a junior this year at BPHS and it is her second year writing for the newspaper. She credits Alex Mullen for recommending she take the class. Juliana is looking forward to bringing sports photography skills to the team. She is also the other half of the duo behind the Fun Faculty Fact Friday feature.

If Juliana doesn’t have a camera in her hand, she can usually be seen at basketball. After a normal school day, Juliana can be seen either practicing basketball or snap-chatting. She is a third year member of the girls basketball team and looks forward to playing every year.

In addition to the Hawk Eye, she is also in PACS, Camera Club, SGA, National Honors Society, and Quill and Scroll Society.

After high school, Juliana wants to go to college and earn a medical degree. Then, she wants to pursue a career in the medical field as a Physician’s Assistant.

If Juliana could have any superpower, she said, “I want to be able to read minds.”

Juliana’s dream vacation would be Italy. She wants to see where her ancestors lived, and she wants to explore the beaches of Italy as well. If she doesn’t make it to her dream vacation, she wants to have a dream date as a movie night in the backyard with a projector.

Make sure to check out the Fun Faculty Fact Friday feature this year to read some of Juliana’s work.

Written By: Lauren Mullen