Spring Sports Preview: Girls lacrosse has sights set on WPIAL title

Back to Article
Back to Article

Gavin Campbell, Staff Writer

One of the many talented spring sports teams Bethel Park has, girls lacrosse looks to capitalize on their talented varsity team this year, ultimately leading to a WPIAL Championship.

The girls finished 11-6 last year, ending in a heartbreaking playoff loss to Mt. Lebanon. Competing in AAA Section 1, the girls team finished 7-6 in section play. Their quest for a WPIAL title will certainly have its bumps, as the team lost a couple key players to graduation.

Kayte Zeiler was a force to be reckoned with last year, the now IUP star took the WPIAL by storm her senior year, leading the Hawks in points, earning her “All-WPIAL” honors. They also lost Zoe Zilcosky, Cam Happe, Jenny Gavett, and the majority of their starters.

Headlining the girls’ college commitments this year is Christina “Tuna” Zeher. Tuna has committed to Grove City and looks to bring her talent to the team her senior year.

While losing the majority of their starting lineup, Tuna believes that their team can do even better this year. She believes that “[they] have better chemistry” than last year; this year they have a common and clear goal to go far in playoffs.

Last year, they lost several key matchups in the section, but Tuna believes that can work towards their advantage.“I think the teams in our division will underestimate us considering we lost the majority of last year’s starting lineup,” she said.

Tuna commends their strong freshmen and sophomores and says they will be key in this year’s success.

Senior Alaina Cerro has been a constant talent on the girls’ team the past several years.  She comments on the success of last year: “Last year’s team was solid on all ends. We were the first team from from Division 2 (AA) to make it on the Division 1 (AAA) playoff field, twice.”

The girls team moved up from AA to AAA last season and not only made it to playoffs but also won their first-round game, an incredible and unlikely feet.

Cerro thanked the seniors last year for their commitment and talent. “We definitely couldn’t have done it without the seniors from last year,” she said.

She looks forward to this year, however. “This year’s team is pretty young… the majority of us are younger compared to last year’s group. Indoor games have been going pretty well, but we definitely need to work on all positions.”

Bethel Park returns junior defender Maggie Marsteller. Maggie has been a consistent part of the varsity team since her arrival her freshman year. Her stellar play last year earned her “All-Section” honors during her sophomore campaign. Expect Maggie to be a big part of the team and help lead them to that WPIAL title.

The girls’ team opens their season March 26 at Taylor Allderdice, and have their home opener March 28 vs South Fayette. Make sure you go out and support our girls on their quest for a WPIAL title!

About the Writer
Gavin Campbell, Staff Writer

Involved. That's a pretty easy way to describe Gavin Campbell.

Gavin does it all, participating in lacrosse, DECA, chess club, TLC, and now writing...

1 Comment

One Response to “Spring Sports Preview: Girls lacrosse has sights set on WPIAL title”

1. Zoe Zilcosky on February 12th, 2018 6:48 pm

Great article Gavin! I would really love to see the girls go that far and believe Tuna was right! Without last year’s seniors, the team has much more potential and a better competitive advantage! As a player on last year’s team, I can say Tuna was one of the best players on the team and pretty much held all of us on her back! Wish them all the best of luck especially Maggie Marsteller and Maddie Miller, some of the nicest girls on the team! Go Hawks!

• Spring Sports Preview: Girls lacrosse has sights set on WPIAL title

Sports

NFL Playoff Update: Home teams dominate in divisional rounds

Sports

Six Hawks named to PIHL All-Star Game

• Sports

NHL All-Star Game to use environmentally friendly jerseys

Sports

Lady Hawks battle to the end, but pull off win

Sports

Hawks look to take down Burgettstown

Sports

Hawk Eye Ha Has: Anthony Chiccitt enters name into NFL Draft

Sports

Hawks ready for rivalry with Panthers

Sports

Pens duel Ducks in Anaheim Friday night

Sports

Hawks win shootout thriller

Sports

Competitive cheer goes back-to-back