• Follow us on Instagram @hawkeyebphs

• See your msg here! Free for a limited time! Email [email protected]

17 track and field stars qualify for WPIALs

From left to right: Jehvonn Lewis, Zach Taylor, James Krandel, Terron Murphy, Kenny Barnhart, Lilly Zeminski, Hannah Crawford, and Sydney Burns are just some of the track & field athletes who qualified for WPIALs.

Hawk Eye Staff

Hawk Eye Staff

Haley Radcliffe, Assistant Editor

Last Tuesday, May 9, was the last chance meet for track and field competitors this year. The meet was held at West Mifflin, and was set up for teams and individuals to get one final try at achieving the times and distances they needed to make it to WPIAL championships.

Among those making it to championships are the girls’ 4 x 800m (Sydney Burns, Patra Hsu, Lilly Zeminski, and Hannah Crawford) and the boys’ 4 x 100m (Terron Murphy, James Krandel, Zach Taylor, Kenny Barnhart, and Jehvonn Lewis (alternate)) teams, as well as those in individual events, including Ken Barnhart (triple jump), Zach Taylor (long jump), James Krandel (100m), Logan Runco (400m), Antonio Burkhart (3200m), Luke Surunis (javelin), Becca Libbel (pole vault and 100m hurdles), Maddie Warner (pole vault), Katherine Kimes (pole vault), and Sarah Gilliam (shot put and discuss).

Sarah Gilliam qualified in both the shot put and discuss.

The meet will take place on Thursday, May 18 at Baldwin High School at 1 p.m.

A member of the girls’ 4×8, Hannah Crawford will be trying to run her own personal best time along with her team’s goal of running their fastest time yet.

She said that “getting to run with [her] team and experience the competition as  a freshman” is what she’s most excited for.

From left to right: Sydney Burns, Lilly Zeminski, and Hannah Crawford (missing Patra Hsu) are all set for the 4X800m.

Entered in two events, senior Zac Taylor will challenge himself with the long jump as well as the 4 x 100m relay. His goal for the long jump is to place in the top 8, and he hopes to win the 4×100. Joining him in the 4×1 are Terron Murphy, James Krandel, and Ken Barnhart.

“I’m excited to compete against some of my friends and other athletes across the WPIAL… Everyone is at a pretty high level so it pushes everyone to do better, and it’s a lot of fun,” he said.

Another individual registered for two events is Becca Libbel. She will be running the 100 meter hurdles and and pole vaulting, and her goal is to qualify for States!

From left to right: Becca Libell, Maddie Warner, and Katherine Kimes all qualified for pole vaulting. Becca Libell also qualified for 100m hurdles.

Finally, Antonio Burkhart will be running the 3200 meter race. His goal is to “not come in last.”

Good luck to all of our track & field athletes at WPIALs!