Football team fights off Lions

Stays in hunt for section title
Ally Wolling
As tradition has it, the football team celebrates their win by singing the Alma Mater with the Marching Band.

The varsity football team has a to-do list. And one of those agendas included beating South Fayette.

They did this in convincing fashion Friday night in the WTAE Game of the Week, winning 49-29.

Tanner Pfeuffer threw for 212 yards and three touchdown passes in the win. The first to Jovian Smith was 24 yards, the second to Jack Bruckner was 66 yards and the third to Ryan Petras was 60 yards.

Ja Vaughn Moore returned from injury in a big way. He rushed for 189 yards on 34 carries. Petras also did some ball-carrying of his own. He ran for 119 yards on 12 attempts.

With the win, they improved to 3-1 in the section and now look forward to a showdown with Peters Township this upcoming Friday night.

Interestingly enough, Upper St. Clair, whom the Hawks beat in Week 6, defeated Moon in overtime. Bethel Park lost to Moon in Week 7.

So, as far as standings go, the Hawks currently sit at No. 2 behind Peters Township. Peters Township has clinched a playoff spot. However, if Bethel Park beats Peters, then they win the section. If Peters wins, and assuming Moon beats Baldwin and Upper St. Clair beats South Fayette, then there is a three-way tie for second. At that point, tiebreaker points will break the tie, and third place will be decided by head-to-head competition. Bethel Park would win on tiebreaker points.