Student Voices: The future of healthcare

This week on Student Voices, a random sampling of students were questioned on their thoughts and opinions regarding the future of Obama’s landmark health reform: the Affordable Care Act.

Enacted in 2010, the goal of the act was to increase health insurance quality and affordability and lower the uninsured rate by expanding coverage and reducing the cost of healthcare. However, President Trump and some Republican Congressional leaders have promised to repeal the law on the grounds of expensive premiums and the mandate requiring all Americans to have insurance.

On the night of Tuesday, Feb. 7, CNN hosted a town hall with Senators Bernie Sanders and Ted Cruz to debate the pros and cons of Obamacare and its potential repeal. The fundamental disagreements of the two senators were vividly apparent and clear predictors of how different students would answer when asked about healthcare.

When asked for commentary on the future of the Affordable Care Act, students either had quite a bit to say, or nothing at all.

Junior John Veltum, leaning even farther right than Cruz the previous night, said, “Taxation for the purpose of redistributing money to whom the government believes deserves it more is nothing more than theft.”

Finally, in a Sanders-esque tone, senior Tyler Smith said, “Considering we’re one of the only developed countries in the world without a universal healthcare program, I think it’s a step in the right direction to allow all citizens access to healthcare since as of now a person can go bankrupt due to a medical emergency. ”

The sharp division between students’ opinions is a blatant microcosm of the polarization in politics our nation faces today; but, as we know, only time will reveal the path history takes.